How do you pay the bills?

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Random Happenings



I took this picture on 6th ave across from Bryant Park yesterday during my lunch break, where the award-winning show Top Gear was filming. In case you don't know, the show airs on BBC America and History Channel and is about nice/expensive/top-of-the-line cars/gadgets.
Now I am in no way a car expert or one of those girls that won't look at you unless you have a nice flashy car. However, I will admit that I do like shiny things, I do like to drive, I know a thing or two about cars, and I know my way around a garage and a tool belt.

Knowing all of this, I could have been on this particular segment of this episode they were filming, and probably enjoyed it very much. The concept seemed to be that they had some very sexy cars (Mercedes, Lamborghini, Viper, Bentley) painted the not-so-sexy lemon/taxi cab yellow color and that people off the street, upon signing a legal waiver, could hop on line (complete with red carpet and velvet ropes)in one of the cars for a "taxi ride" around midtown while appearing on camera. Unfortunately, I only had an hour for lunch and the line was long, so alas it did not happen.
But what really made me weep inside on behalf of awesome girls everywhere was the verbal exchange I overheard a girl on the street having with one of the promoters/waiver-hander-outers. It went like this:

Girl-who-thinks-she's-a-savvy-New-Yorker-and-calling-them-out-on-their-obvious-scam: "Oh yeah, well what's so special about the cars?"

Poor Promoter-Guy-who-just-wants-to-do-his-gig-get-paid-and-go-home
: "Wha-?!(Awkward pause as he can't believe he is being asked this while standing in front of 4 cars that combined costs probably total around $1 million)Um...well, they're expensive cars. Really expensive sports cars."


Dear Awesome Girls Everywhere,
Come and weep with me.

-Not Currently starving, but not currently very artistic either


P.S There is also a toy train store across from Bryant Park! The people in that store kind of weird me out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.