How do you pay the bills?

Monday, October 24, 2011

The City

There are days when I exit the train and walk up 6th ave to my office where I work and just breathe in the city. There are mornings like today when the air is crisp and the flow of the city just washes over me and I fall in love with New York all over again. The energy of the hustle and bustle pumps me up to face the day. On mornings like this one, I think, "Why would I want to leave this place?"


Then reality sets in. I go to my job; my job that wastes my talents and sucks out my soul ever-so-slowly, day-by-day. I put in my 8 hours, then get on the crowded subway full of cranky selfish people. I go home to my crappy apartment with the bills, the roach infestation, my broken couch, minimal cell phone reception, and the asshole landlord.


I try to look on the bright side: I'm employed, I have health insurance, I have a roof over my head, I have food in my kitchen, and I have people who love me in my life.

While I love NY, and I know that it's where I'm supposed to be right now, so I can't really see myself living anywhere else. However, the fantasies of living in a cabin in the woods for a couple of months or living near the beach for a while seem to pop into my head more frequently than they used to. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for a change...





-Not Currently Starving, But Wondering When Lunch is

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trolls will be deleted.